Saturday, August 13, 2011
Elrod Mill Conservation Area
Elrod Mill Conservation Area in Andrew County is located on the Platte River. It was purchased by the Missouri Department of Conservation in 1980 to give access to the Platte River. In the 1800's this site was the location of a grinding mill that ground flour for local residents. The mill was powered by the flow of the river. William Elrod ran the mill and in 1885 when the first post office was built in this area not only was the post office named after Elrod he also became the postmaster.
This is one of the smaller conservation locations owned by MDC with only 59 acres, and without a doubt one of the most beautiful. The area is mostly timber with some crop ground. There is a huge sand bar that acts like a beach. Fishing is good here with catfish being the predominant fish. There is hunting allowed in the area with the proper hunting licenses and portable tree stands. This is a beautiful place to spend a day just hanging out. The Platte River is one of the most gorgeous rivers in NW Missouri.