Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ox-Eyed Daisy

Daisies have long been my favorite flower. While not colorful and flashy like some flowers, there is something so delicate and innocent looking about a daisy that makes them very appealing. This particular daisy is the Oxeye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare). They are an introduced species to the United States and are found all over Missouri. While some consider them weeds, I for one love them. They are finding favor with gardeners throughout the Country as an accent plant. Planted next to coneflowers, coreopsis, or bee balm it makes for a showy display that butterflies and other insects will love. Look for them along roadsides, in open fields, meadows, rocky glades, etc. They are hardy and can be found in most any environment or habitat. I remember as a little girl picking a daisy and pulling the petals off one at a time, while reciting "he loves me, he loves me not". After all what better way to find out if the little boy you had a crush on was "The one". Needless to say many daisies sacrificed their petals to my innocent game before I finally married. Summer, sunshine and Daisies...it doesn't get any better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment