Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Snow brings Spring Visitors








Today (April 2nd) I awoke to a heavy wet snow falling. The temperatures seemed fairly warm at around 35 degrees. There was a slight wind blowing. I could tell by the conditions once the snow stopped falling it wouldn't stick around long, the ground is too warm and air temperature is rising rapidly. I could hear a lot of bird activity going on outside my window. I could not believe my eyes when I opened the front door. There were birds everywhere. So many different species all converging on the bird feeders. Fighting for their turn to eat. I took pictures of many of them, but unfortunately I had to take the pictures through the glass of the door and they are somewhat fuzzy or blurry. Each time I tried to sneak the door open they would fly off in a frenzy. So this was the best I could manage. Hopefully they are clear enough to show the diversity of the individuals that visited today. I counted Harris Sparrow, Red-Wing Black Birds, American Goldfinches (males and females), Juncos, House Sparrows, Northern Cardinals (males and females), Grackles, American Robins, Northern Mockingbird, Downy Woodpecker, White-Breasted Nuthatch, and Black-Capped Chick-a-dee. Seemed the wet snow was triggering their appetites.

No comments:

Post a Comment