Thursday, April 9, 2009

I DID IT!!


I've been trying for years to get a picture of this little bird. Chick-a-dee's are without a doubt my all time favorite bird. They are so cute and charming. Their plumage is adorable, all that black and white and buff coloring. Taking pictures of this little darling is a challenge; they never stop moving. With the constant motion, training a camera on them is near to impossible. I have tremendous respect for the photographers that have accomplished this feat. This chick-a-dee showed up in the front yard today and sat perfectly still in a bush. I was shocked, I got the camera, situated myself and managed to snap 3 pictures before he flew off. Admittedly this isn't the "best" picture of a chick-a-dee I've ever seen, but I am proud to have accomplished one that is halfway in focus. At least you can tell it is a chick-a-dee, unlike my past efforts. I remember the first time I spotted this species in my yard. It was about 5 or 6 years ago. I had never seen a bird like it before, after retrieving the field guide and identifying my little visitor I learned it was a chick-a-dee. I watched him for quite awhile flying back a forth from the feeder to the tree. Each time taking a seed with him to hammer it open against the bark of the tree. I became so enamored with him it actually brought tears to my eyes. Believe me when I say I have never lived that one down. My kids refer to it as the "Chickadee Moment". If I see any creature that I've not seen before, they ask me if it is going to be a "chickadee moment"? I just laugh along with them, after all if we can't laugh at ourselves who can me laugh at?

No comments:

Post a Comment